June 21 marked the Summer Solstice, the longest day of 2022 and the official start of summer! We long for these hot, breezy days in Pennsylvania, and after our seemingly-never-ending winters, vow never to complain of the summer’s heat.
Here’s what we’ve been up to!
Cool off in icy PA waters! The Allegheny Mountains boast so many picturesque spots for a swim in its clear, icy cold waters. When the days at the public pool get too crowded, try one of our favorite spots at nature’s finest pools.
- Tom’s Run in Cook Forest. This is our go-to spot! Located just off the pavilions (with public restrooms, too), this is a simple approximately 1 mile flat hike through the shaded woods, along the clear waters of Tom’s Run. The kids love to stop and swim, search for crayfish and toads, and can’t wait to jump in the swimming hole near the waterfall, along the trail.
- Clear Creek Beach and Campground. Whether camping or just looking for a quaint little beach filled with running, icy cold waters, a trip to Clear Creek is always fun. The swimming hole boasts a sandy beach, perfect for sandcastles, and lots of little places to hike. Plus, because it’s a dam along the river, tadpoles are easy to catch here! The water wades in easily, so little swimmers and serious swimmers alike will enjoy this spot.
- Parker Dam State Park. Our favorite spot to rent paddle boards and play on the beach, Parker Dam is a popular favorite with good reason. Just outside of Dubois in the Moshannon Forest, Parker Dam has a lovely little beach and a full concession stand, plus rentals for paddle boats, kayaks and paddle boards–Molly’s favorite!
- The Clarion River + rentals from Pale Whale Canoe Fleet. This is always on our summer bucket list–a lovely canoe trip down the Clarion River. The kids prefer to float (ahem, swim alongside a raft), but we tie up the rafts to the canoe on a hot summer day and spend a lazy afternoon afloat the beautiful Clarion River. Highly recommend this one.
Pastured local beef: a summer restock.
We’re so excited to bring more local beef to Lane’s End Farm! We’re working with our local farmers and butchers, always sure to bring you the highest quality beef. We expect a restock to arrive by the first of July, and this is going to be a good one. At your requests, we’re working on some great cuts of steak, and extra all-beef hot dogs and chipped steak for your summer meals! I’ll let you all know through our newsletter first, so you can have first chance to order your favorite cuts. Stay tuned, but here are some cuts you can expect with this beef restock:
- Tomahawk steak (a widely popular, yet HUGE ribeye with a minimum 5in rib bone attached- this is sure to be a show stopper! There is a limited supply of Tomahawk, so make sure to order early).
- Skirt steak: this was a highly requested cut, and with good reason–only 2 per steer! Boasts deep, rich, beefy flavor. Best when marinated before grilling; when slicing, cut against the grain. Don’t overcook it, and it will be a delicious bite of steak, every time!
- Flank steak: Lean and flavorful, and should be thinly sliced against the grain when carving. Delicious when marinated. Makes a delicious sliced steak salad! It’s a good steak to have around for a quick, delicious dinner!
- Brisket: Otherwise: Beef Brisket. A flavorful cut that becomes tender when cooked slowly at low temperatures. The traditional cut used for corned beef, and popular as smoked barbecue. The cuts will be packaged as 3-4lbs/package, priced by weight.
- Beef short ribs. Beef ribs are commonly cooked on the bone, and are excellent when cooked on the BBQ, braised or slow-cooked in a Dutch oven/crockpot.
- Filet, commonly called Tenderloin Steak. The most tender beef cut, for the most special occasion! Melts in your mouth with subtle flavor and compact shape. Filet sold as 2 tenderloin/package, and priced based on weight (expect weight of approx 1 lb/2 tenderloin).
- Sirloin Steak: Commonly Called: Top Sirloin. Versatile, juicy and delicious. Full of flavor without all the marbeling. Great on the grill as-is or cut into kabobs! A really great family steak to eat any night– big on flavor but not on the price!
- Ribeye Steak: Otherwise known as the Cowboy Cut or Delmonico, popularized in the 19th century at the famous Delmonico’s restaurant in NYC, this well marbeled cut is from the rib section, and can be served bone-in (for more tender/juicy meat) or boneless. Ours will be cut 1.5 in thick, the perfect size for the grill.
- NY Strip Steak: Well marbeled, the classic steak dinner star! This cut consists of two lean tender steaks – the strip, and the tenderloin. Our NY strip will be cut 1.5 in thick, one per package and priced based on the weight of the steak.
What are you most looking forward to? I’ll make sure to send at least 2 emails to our newsletter before releasing the beef sales to the rest of social media. I’ll link to our online store, where you can purchase your beef prior to pickup. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Molly is spending the week at horse camp, and we miss her so much, but know she’s having the best time. Childhood summer: camp and swimming, right?!
We’re working on our shop construction, and hope to have cement poured next week, so stay tuned for summer market’s at the farm, coming soon!
We hope you have the best week.
We’re so glad you’re here 🙂
Jesse + Lisa Vivian